The Clare-Gladwin Career & Technical Education program held its annual CTE Awards ceremony Monday, celebrating the efforts of its 250-plus students, and recognizing several in particular for their outstanding work in the classroom this year.
CTE provides vocational education and skilled trades training for high school juniors and seniors from Clare, Beaverton, Harrison, Gladwin and Farwell. Training is offered in areas like Construction Trades, Criminal Justice, Culinary Arts, Health Occupations, Automotive Technology, Digital Media and Education Occupations.
The awards ceremony on Monday was actually split into two affairs, one each for the program’s morning and afternoon sessions. Attendees – including students and their families – were treated to stories of success, both from the 2015-16 school year and from years past, as well as many moving and amusing tales of the current school year.
“Most of my career was spent at the high school level,” CTE Program Evaluator Tom House told the crowd. “I always knew the value of CTE, but until you see firsthand the way your students perform and represent their schools and communities, you don’t really know. There‘s tremendous value in CTE, and I know you’ve learned things you’re going to use all your lives.”
Instructors recognized outstanding students in both sessions of each class in such areas as Above and Beyond, Outstanding Student, Most Improved and Perfect Attendance (First Semester). Those students included:
· Automotive Technology - Above and Beyond - Christian Kuhns (Clare), Dakota Burgess (Coleman) and Dakota Jimenez (Gladwin); Outstanding Student - Branden Kerley (Harrison), Zachary McCully (Gladwin) and Dylan Worden (Gladwin); Most Improved - Cody Coburn (Farwell) and Aaron Pohl (Gladwin); Perfect Attendance - Branden Kerley (Harrison) and Max Taylor (Harrison), Austin Currier (Beaverton), Brandon Pahl (Gladwin) and Aaron Pohl (Gladwin).
· Construction Trades - Above and Beyond - Travis Beracy (Coleman) and Ethan Goodwin (Beaverton); Outstanding Student - James Gillespie (Harrison), Jarod Given (Harrison), Ryan Alana (Farwell), Mark Demoines (Beaverton), William Lang (Beaverton) and Jeremy Zdrojewski (Beaverton); Most Improved - Charles Cassidy (Harrison) and Stephen Petrik (Beaverton); Perfect Attendance - Jeremy Fillhard (Harrison), James Gillespie (Harrison), Corey Davis (Harrison), Cameron Sherrick (Harrison), Jared Bennett (Harrison) and Ethan Goodwin (Beaverton).
· Criminal Justice - Above and Beyond - Hayley Sanford (Coleman); Outstanding Student - Samantha Adsit (Coleman), Alice Roe (Harrison) and Kinsley Smith (Gladwin); Most Improved - Taylor Theisen (Clare) and Hunter Dollen (Harrison); Perfect Attendance - Madison Moore (Beaverton), Corey Lang (Harrison), Kristen Pitt (Harrison), Alice Roe (Harrison), Devin Hoffman (Harrison), Milena Haywood (Harrison) and Raymond Ramirez (Harrison).
· Culinary Arts - Above and Beyond - Chelsea Claeys (Clare) and Lydia Gervase (Harrison); Outstanding Student - Kathleen White (Beaverton), Mehna Orr (Clare), Harley Hakes (Harrison) and Dylan Atwell (Harrison); Most Improved - Ashley Helmer (Farwell) and Bryer Maxwell (Gladwin); Perfect Attendance - Adam Lower (Clare), Caleb Bondie (Harrison), Morgan Bradburn (Harrison) and Natalie Olstrom (Harrison).
· Digital Media - Above and Beyond - Nicholas Berenyi (Coleman) and Daniel Vansickle (Harrison); Outstanding Student - Natalie Rogers (Coleman), Jacob Gross (Farwell) and Cole Burch (Harrison); Most Improved - Cody Baybeck (Farwell) and Gaven Heldenbrand (Gladwin); Perfect Attendance - Tanner Davis (Clare), Cole Burch (Harrison), D’Andre Charles (Harrison), Kurtis Eichhorn (Harrison) and Daniel Vansickle (Harrison).
· Education Occupations - Above and Beyond - Gracia Agin (Harrison) and Jamie May (Gladwin); Outstanding Student - Jessica Lovejoy (Coleman), Quinci Butler (Clare), Aleta LaPage (Harrison), April McKenzie (Farwell), Jazmin Steele (Beaverton), Cheyenne French (Gladwin) and Kolton Wilson (Gladwin); Most Improved - Mary Ann Rhynard (Coleman) and Hannah Bingham (Beaverton); Perfect Attendance - Gracia Agin (Harrison), Breanna Cosgrove (Harrison), Savanna Fredenburg (Harrison), Aleta LaPage (Harrison) and Amberlynne Wells (Harrison).
· Health Occupations - Above and Beyond - Tasha Decker (Coleman) and Kassidy Seebeck (Harrison); Outstanding Student - Lauren Hughes (Beaverton), Emylee Allen (Clare), Alexis Willford (Gladwin) and Jacob Jackson (Harrison); Most Improved - Christina Bagwell (Beaverton); Perfect Attendance - Elle Coughlin (Harrison), Logan Curns (Harrison), Aja Heber (Harrison), Jacob Jackson (Harrison), Marissa Mathews (Harrison), Kasey Teebo (Harrison), Alexis Willford (Gladwin) and Nichole Willman (Harrison).